With the flu season and the current worldwide health stability jeopardized by the coronavirus spread, it’s essential to use a hand sanitizer to protect your hands from potential germs in your everyday life. It’s even more important to know how to use it and why you should use it properly.
According to the research from the University of Arizona, ‘more than half of commonly touched surfaces in an office – like doorknobs, copy machine buttons, telephone, desktops, the office refrigerator – can become infected with a virus when a single person in the office is ill.’ The study also finds that ‘simple interventions, such as hand washing and the use of hand sanitizer or wipes, can drastically reduce employees’ risk of infection.’
Using hand sanitizer has various benefits :
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers help to prevent the germs from spreading and causing bacterial, gastrointestinal and respiratory diseases.
- Hand sanitizers improve good hygiene habits daily. Indeed, using hand sanitizers daily encourages people to have the right habits to reduce the germs spread everywhere they go.
- Hand sanitizers are practical because it’s portable and fast and easy to use. Plus, you can put them in your bag and take them everywhere you go.
Howerver, a hand sanitizer has to be used properly to prevent germs spread efficiently. Before using it you have to :
- Make sure your hands are not dirty: hand sanitizers are not meant to clean your hands. They are meant to disinfect your hands rapidly. All the dirt on your hands will prevent the alcohol-based sanitizer from penetrating to your skin and operating efficiently.
- Put the right amount: Don’t be afraid to put a generous amount on your hands (without emptying all the container but as much as needed), so that all the dirt on the surface of your hands will be eliminated. Don’t neglect any parts of your hands.
- Rub it in until your hands are dry: You must rub it in a few seconds to let the product absorb and penetrate down your skin. It must be completely evaporated in less than 15 seconds, if it’s not the amount that you put was not enough and the hand sanitizer won’t be efficient.
Using properly hand sanitizer is a good way to reduce germs spread. Nevertheless, using hand sanitizer does not mean cleaning your hands. In fact, most people think that applying some amount of hand sanitizer is enough to prevent bacteria but it’s not ! Hand sanitizers are not cleaning agents. As a result, you must wash your hands daily with some soap and water as well. Keep in mind that they complement the use of soap and water but they don’t replace them.
Moreover, alcohol does not help you get rid of all the dirt on your hands throughout the day. At some point, hand-washing will be recommended since the alcohol contained in the hand sanitizer won’t be effective all day long.